Saturday, May 9, 2009

Nails: China Glaze Swirl Art

China Glaze Swirl Art




I was browsing through China Glaze website and to my surprise, I came across their swirl art video! It looked like so much fun so I decided to give it a try and here's what I came up with. It's pretty cool right? I damaged the tip accidentally because my mum bumped into me and I lost my balance. :X Do check out http://www.nailsmag.com/NailsTV/?id=8B400160-861A-4C79-9657-8A5B7E89CBB6&CategoryID=1001 for the detailed steps for making your own swirl art.

You will need: a bowl filled with water, 4-6 shades of nail polish, a long & thin stick (I used a satay stick)

Here's a short summary of the steps to achieve the swirl art shown above.

  1. Paint my nails with a white coat of polish (I wanted the swirl art to pop)
  2. Uncap all the nail polish you intend to use (i used China Glaze Artelier Tulle, Tinsel, Shower Together, Rodeo Fanatic and Spontaneous)
  3. Drip 1 drop of the first nail colour in the bowl of water and wait for the polish to spread
  4. Quickly drop the 2nd drop of the next nail colour into the center of the first drop
  5. Follow QUICKLY with the 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th drops using whichever colour you prefer. (the number of drops/colours used are entirely subjective)
  6. Once the colours have been arranged to your liking, use the satay stick to create patterns by dragging it through the circular nail colours (Do refer to the video in the link)
  7. Place your finger into the patterns and remove the excess polish with the satay stick

We are more or less done. :) Just some tips though:

  • Do make sure you drip those drops of nail polish into the bowl of water at a height of about half an inch above the water level. This is to ensure that the drop of polish have enough gravity to spread.
  • I tried doing the swirl art on my real nails and the nail colour ended up sticking on my fingers as well. I had to use some nail polish remover to clean those stains off. I am fine with the extra step but for those who find this a hassle, I would recommend using fake nails instead (as shown in the picture).

Anyway, this is really really fun and since we have a long weekend why don't you ladies give this a try!~ :)

1 comment:

  1. the design look beautiful, love the color combination that you used.

    ReplyDelete